Atami Trip - Part 1 (Suginami to Machida, Atsugi, and Fujisawa)

 The only thing you can truly count on is that things rarely go according to plan.  

I had planned to leave for Mishima last Thursday the 15th, however I also was asked to decide if I would attend my company's Christmas party.  I was too busy to check the details, but I figured "Why not, I should be back in Tokyo by Christmas", and accepted.

I realized too late that the party was on Friday the 16th.  That meant that I would need to delay my departure until the Saturday the 17th.  Of course it was raining on Saturday, so I ended up leaving on Sunday - and later in the day than I had planned.

I decided to only travel during daylight hours, which meant that I was limited in how far I could go.  

I made it as far as Machida before it got dark.





To make matters worse, I had video equipment failures.  I recently bought a "Dummy Battery" for my camera so that I could power it directly from my bike in order to avoid the ritual of constantly switching out batteries.  It works great, unless my bike decides to power off - which it does if there is no activity for about 5 minutes. 

That happened twice on the way to Machida - once when I was stopped at a convenience store, and once when I was waiting for a very long time at a rail way crossing.  

 So, I lost some of the footage.  Not a major deal since the main point of my trips is to enjoy the scenery while getting some exercise - but disappointing nonetheless.  I can fix the video files to a certain extent, but that will probably have to wait until I am back home.  

I was also riding into the sun during sunset, which made it difficult to see and was not really fun.  

My original (updated) plan had been to go from Honancho to Machida, rest, and then go onto Fujisawa yesterday, and then to go from Fujisawa to Odawara today.  Since I only made it to Machida yesterday, and I knew that I wouldn't make it all the way from Machida to Odawara today, I decided to stop at Fujisawa.  

(Leomo Nav Data)







This has to be the first elevated cycling road I have ever seen!


Once I arrived in Fujisawa and got something to eat, I realized that while I might mot make it to Odawara, I could at least pick some place in between, and settled on Atsugi.  

This wasn't the most efficient path since it did take me back north.  As such, there was probably a better choice, but at least it was a way to use some of the remaining daylight hours to bring me closer to my goal.  (It isn't possible to go in a straight line anyway because.. mountains).

(Leomo Nav Data)








So far I have travelled about 78km, so about half the total route distance to Mishima.  Once the sun comes out, I think I should have no problem making the 36km to Odawara in around 2.5 hours or less (though I may stop for lunch if I happen to pass a good place).  

More  worrying is the trip from Odawara to Mishima.  The shortest possible distance is 42km, so if I continue on today, it will be about 78km in once day.  I may be up for it, and if I leave early there may be enough sunlight, but I don't want to overdo it either.  

I usually do less than 100km per week, so suddenly doing around 300 (round trip) in as much time may be a shock to my body.  (To be clear I am more worried about a sore rear end than being too tired or anything).  

In fact, I wanted to take the scenic route from Odawara to Mishima, but that entails about 77km instead of 42.  If I take the scenic route, then it wouldn't be possible for me to make it today - and it looks like it might rain tomorrow.  

If I'm going to get stuck somewhere, I want it to at least be at my destination.  

Suginami-ku to Machida
(Youtube Video Link)

Machida to Fujisawa
(Youtube Video Link)


Proceed to Atami Trip - Part 2 (Machida to Atsugi)


コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

New Blog for Cycling Related Content

Yamaha YPJ MT-Pro Pedal Upgrade & Reflective Pedals

Why don't you use GoPro or Garmin?